Having issues with balance or dizziness? Your ears could be the cause.
Live Better Hearing + Balance is an American Institute of Balance Certified Center of Specialty Care. This means we use advanced clinical protocols with the most up-to-date technology to provide the most sophisticated level of care in the field of vestibular science.
The inner ear’s problems can make you feel dizzy or unsteady, regardless of whether you’re standing, sitting, or lying down.
Diagnosing a balance disorder is complex and requires the services of a trained audiologist. There are many potential causes—including medical conditions and medications. Our expert audiologists will do some or all of the following tests to assess the cause and extent of the balance problem, depending on your symptoms and health status.
- A Hearing Test: Your balance system is part of the ear. It’s essential to test both systems thoroughly when you have balance problems.
- Rotary Chair Test: The purpose of this test is to determine if the vestibular (inner ear) or the neurological system is the cause of a balance disorder. When someone is turning their head, the vestibular system sends continuous signals to the brain, updating it on the heads position.
- Calorics: This is a test of the lateral semicircular canals in the inner ear. This test can measure any differences between the ears, which can cause dizziness.
- Electrocochleography (EcoG): This non-invasive test measures waveforms generated by the inner ear and auditory nerve in response to sound.
- Auditory Brainstem Response (ABR): This computerized test evaluates how well sounds travel along the hearing nerve pathways from the ear to the brainstem
- Videonystagmography (VNG): This test measures eye movements and the muscles that control them.
- Positional and smooth pursuit testing: These balance tests measure how your eyes move in response to different positions, and shifting patterns on a screen.
Discover How Balance Testing Can Help You.
Balance testing by our qualified audiologists provides a good idea of what is wrong and if we can fix your balance disorder or dizziness problems.